Cocktail Recipe with Fruity Superfoods
Summer Fruit Cocktail Recipe
As spring wanes into summer around the country, we thought we’d find a good summer food (sometimes known as “superfood”) cocktail recipe. Today we’d like to share a Cherry Watermelon Margarita. We found this recipe on Diary of an Ex Sloth (linked here), be sure to check out her other recipes as well.
We love this recipe because you get the natural sugars from watermelon and it gives you a great tart favor from the cherries. If you love that, but don’t want the buzz, simply swap the tequila for sparkling water or one of the non-alcoholic tequila options below for a delicious virgin version. Serve chilled, on the porch/deck/patio for the best experience.
CHERRY WATERMELON MARGARITAS
- 1½ cups watermelon, cubed
- ¾ cup cherries, pits removed
- 1 – 2 tbsp freshly squeezed citrus juice (In her recipe, Ex Sloth used a mix of lime, orange and grapefruit juice but any will work. You can also squeeze fresh limes and oranges helps reduce the added sugars!)
- ¼ – ⅓ cup tequila (NOTE: check out this site for some great non-alcoholic tequila options for an NA cocktail!)
- Optional: 1 – 2 tbsp agave nectar
- straw (to remove cherry pits)
- fine meshed sieve (if you don’t like pulp)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth
- Adjust tequila and agave to taste
- If the mixture is too pulpy, strain using a fine meshed sieve
- Serve over ice with a salted rim and extra cherries