Snow Day Lasagna Soup
Brrrr! I don’t know about you, but where I’m at it’s snowing like crazy! It’s the perfect day to snuggle up with a good book and a warm bowl of soup. Speaking of, Eating Well has the perfect cozy snow day lasagna soup recipe! It is quick and healthy and is full of all the classic lasagna flavors.
This Snow Day Lasagna Soup Makes 6 Servings!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 6 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 1/2 lasagna noodles (about 6 ounces), preferably whole-wheat, broken into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Firstly, heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost translucent, about 5 minutes. Next, Push onions to one side of the pot and add sausage to the other side. Cook, breaking up the sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Then, add garlic and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly until the tomato paste is heated through, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, water, broth, sugar, and salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Add lasagna noodles and stir to separate. Cook, stirring occasionally until the pasta is just cooked through but not completely soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan in a small bowl and set the mixture aside.
- Lastly, ladle the soup into 6 bowls. Top each serving with a dollop of the ricotta mixture and sprinkle with basil.
Each serving is 1 1/2 cups and contains 351 calories.
Use Your Snow Day to Catch Up on Sleep
If you get the chance, get some extra sleep with DREAMit, your natural sleep aid.