Healthy Spin on Broccoli Cheese Soup
Brrrrr! I don’t know about you, but it is freezing where I’m at! When it’s cold and snowing outside, I like to cozy up on the couch with a book and a warm cup of soup. The best thing about soup is that there are so many different kinds and ways you can make it. One of my favorite soups is the classic, broccoli cheese soup. This is my go-to soup when I eat at Panera Bread. The Blond Cook shares her healthy spin on broccoli cheese soup. This skinny recipe is lower in fat than the original!
This healthy spin on broccoli cheese soup yields around 6 servings.
- 1 (24 ounce) bag frozen baby broccoli florets
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1–1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2–1/2 cups low-fat 1% milk
- 8 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- Firstly, place frozen broccoli florets and carrots in large pot, cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain vegetables in a colander and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- SLOWLY add in flour, about a tablespoon at a time, while stirring with a whisk constantly.
- Once all of the flour is added and there is a nice paste formed, slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly with whisk.
- Add milk slowly, continuing to stir.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Once mixture reaches a boil, slowly add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted.
- Add broccoli and carrots, salt, pepper, garlic, nutmeg, and bay leaf. Stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.