Delicious and Nutritious Low Carb Burritos
Do you love burritos, tacos and anything Tex Mex, because I sure do! Eating healthy doesn’t have to taste bland and look boring. You can still enjoy your favorite flavors and foods by using alternative ingredients. Try these delicious and nutritious low carb burritos, where we use zucchini in place of the tortilla to hold all of the ingredients together.
Delicious and Nutritious Low Carb Burrito Recipe
- 3 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup corn
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- Firstly, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Scoop out the insides of the zucchini and reserve them for later. Next, place the zucchini halves cut side-up into the bottom of a 9″ by 13″ baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil; season with salt and pepper as well. Bake for 10 minutes until the zucchini turns bright green and is just beginning to soften.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Next add the onion and reserved zucchini and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about an extra minute. Add the ground beef and break up the meat with a wooden spoon. Cook about 6 minutes until the beef is no longer pink and then drain the fat.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, and paprika, then season with salt and pepper. Stir in the black beans, cherry tomatoes, and corn.
- Lastly, spoon the beef mixture into the zucchini boat and top with cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes until the zucchini is just tender and the cheeses are melted. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
This delicious and nutritious low carb burrito recipe makes 6 servings and is attributed to delish.com
Looking for more delicious and nutritious recipes? Check out our blog to learn how to make a low carb spaghetti casserole using spaghetti squash!